Wednesday, December 22, 2010

In everything give thanks:

for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 KJV


give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV


As seasoned Christians, we all probably know this scripture by heart.  It's probably one of what I would like to call "Staple Scriptures".  These staple scriptures are in my bag of well known scriptures when I need to encourage myself or someone else.  


What does it really mean, though?


It is such an easy scripture to pull out when things are particularly good or tragically sad.  But what about the struggles and small triumphs we face on a daily basis?  I mean, the scripture doesn't say "in somethings give thanks" or "on somedays, when you feel like it, be thankful". 


NO!  It specifically says "in EVERYTHING give thanks; in ALL circumstances".


I have been doing a lot of thinking about this scripture and how I'm lacking on my end of the bargain.  You see, for the past four weeks, I have been really sick with this new baby.  So sick that doing the things I love to do have become challenging and cumbersome.  All I have been focusing on is getting to the point that I'm not sick anymore.


I've been selfish.  Don't take pity on me.


You see, carrying a child is not something that I was ever sure I would get to do again.  Oh how my heart longed to be with child and know that feeling again, and now that it is here I've been focusing on myself and how bad I feel instead of the miracle God has gifted me.  So, I give thanks for being sick and having that blessing that is to be with child.


Another thing I have been overly concerned with is consistent prayer and prayer requests for a healthy baby.  I have once again been too selfish to just stop and say thank you for any child I am given. 


There is more... 


Thank you, Lord, that you have chosen to strengthen my faith in You through this waiting time.


Thank you, Lord, for the grace to be able to get through these months of waiting to find out if our baby is healthy.


Thank you, Lord, for Jude and even though there have been some sad times, there has been more joy than sadness.




Monday we got to see the baby for the first time on an ultrasound.  





It was so exciting to see it wiggling and hear the heartbeat- a fast 178!!  And if you look closely, you can make out the beginnings of a profile: eyes, a little nose, and lips


It was a relief to hear that the baby was developing fine!  However, it is not a guarantee that the baby is healthy.  Jude looked fine at this stage too.  Without invasive procedures such as a CVS or an Amnio, we will not know the baby's chromosome make up until it is born.


In everything give thanks!  And I will continue to give thanks that I have to wait on the Lord, and the Lord only, for answers.


The morning of our ultrasound, a friend of mine sent me a text message that said:
"Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He will strengthen your heart; wait on the Lord!"
Psalm 28:14


She didn't even know I was going to get the ultrasound that day.  How cool is that!


Thank you, friends, for all your prayers and thoughts.  
XOXO,
Angel

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Angel! I needed this reminder as well.
    May you have a wonderful Christmas!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share a kind word with me!